Monday, July 26, 2010

Blackberry and Peaches, oh my!

This is a recipe I pulled from Whole Foods for Blackberry Peach Buttermilk Cobbler. In honor of fabulous husbands birthday, and lots of fresh peaches from the farmer's market, I decided to whip this up last week.

Without further adieu...

Serves 8
Sweet and juicy peaches are fantastic with this tangy buttermilk batter that crisps around the edges and is soft and tender in the center. Use peak-of-season fruits and serve with your favorite ice cream.
Ingredients
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3/4 pound peaches, pitted and thickly sliced
1 (6-ounce) carton blackberries
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut into large pieces
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups lowfat buttermilk

Method
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together maple syrup and cornstarch. Add peaches and blackberries and toss gently to coat; set aside. Put butter into an 8-inch round or square glass or metal cake pan. Heat in oven just until butter is melted, 2 to 3 minutes, then remove and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in buttermilk and mix until just combined to make a thick batter. Pour into pan over melted butter without stirring. Scatter reserved peach mixture evenly over top of batter and bake until golden and bubbly, 50 to 55 minutes.
How good does this look! I could have eaten it like this!
Hope the oven is ready for this prettiness!

All done!
My notes:

-I used sugar free generic maple syrup as that was all we had. I think next time I will make sure I have some good VT maple syrup on hand.
-I used WW flour instead of regular.
-Ironically the WF that I shopped at did not have buttermilk, but they had a powdered buttermilk that you could use. So I used that. Not sure if it would taste differently or not with real buttermilk.
It was a nice treat and what a way to showcase fresh, perfectly ripe peaches. We did not have any vanilla ice cream (only Cherry Vanilla with Choc Chunk), and that would really have paired well with this.


No comments: