Monday, July 12, 2010

Zucchinni Season Continues... Zucchinni Cakes!

Here is the inspiration recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Connies-Zucchini-Crab-Cakes/Detail.aspx

Here is what I did:

Ingredients:
2 cups zucchini
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon smart balance, melted
¾ cup seasoned bread crumbs
Old Bay to taste
1/3 cup of whole wheat flour
Vegetable oil for frying

In a large bowl combine zucchini, egg and smart balance. Stir in seasoned bread crumbs and seasoning. Mix well. Shape into patties, dredge in flour. In medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Fry patties in oil until golden brown on both sides. Blot oil with paper towel.

*Inspiration recipe calls for onion. The first time I made these, I included, but after omitting it yesterday, I don’t think it really needs the onion.
*I used my 4-cup food processer for the zucchini. I found that having it a little more chopped than shredded worked really better.
*Whole Wheat flour substituted for all-purpose gave a nice flavor.
*In the past I have used Old Bay bread crumbs, if you do this I recommend NOT adding Old Bay spice as it kills the flavor. I stick with seasoned bread crumbs and Old Bay spice.


We served it with grilled pineapple (drizzled with balsamic vinegar and pepper), grilled pork chop (with an applewood rub) and applesauce. Delicious!! We were both craving more zucchini cakes! Dessert was a store bought strawberry ruhbarb pie with homemade strawberry ice cream.






No comments: